Saturday, October 25, 2008

Beyonce to Play Etta James


What would this blog be without a little bit of hate...

No your eyes aren't deceiving you, B is looking a little plump. She has put on 15lbs to take on her role as the living musical legend, Etta James in the upcoming flick, "Cadillac Records." As if dream girls wasn't enough... she's at it again. Just couldn't settle with someone else taking her shine. Unfortunately much of the buzz surrounding this movie is because Beyonce is in it, but by no means is she the star. The film chronicles the rise and fall of Chess Records in Chicago during the 50's & 60's. The label brought many greats like Muddy waters, Etta James and Chuck Berry to fame. Oscar Winner Adrien Brody stars as Leonard Chess, the man responsible for Chess records, while Cedric the Entertainer plays one of the songwriters on the label. Gabrielle Union plays the devoted woman of one of Muddy Waters. Mos Def stars as Chuck Berry, of which I am sure he will put on a good performancee. However I can't say the same for B's portrayal of Etta. Can you honestly see Princess B embodying a woman who went through much stress and strife due to drugs and alcohol? I'm skeptical. Would it have been too much to try out someone new...Keyshia Cole maybe? Keyshia's life story would give her a personal place to pull from in order to display hardships Etta had with drugs and alcohol, not to mention a deep & soulful voice... just a thought.

I'm sure that by now you have either heard the new singles or heard some buzz about Beyonce's new album I AM ....SASHA FIERCE due out in November. Once again B is telling us how playing Etta James has helped her to really dig deep within herself and ...blah blah blah...and how it helped her to create this latest album. In an MTV interview she says

"Lyrically, it's deeper than what I've done before," the 27-year-old singer said. "I wasn't mature enough or old enough, or in touch with myself enough, to do this type of album before. I didn't have the guts."

WHAT! Have you heard the single, "Single Ladies"? With lyrics like "if he likes it than he's sure to put a ring on it" You gonna tell me that's deep, with the tap dance recital video to match. Now obviously I like B and respect her work...but I think it's time for her to sit down and take a little bit of a rest. She should take note from Alicia. Take some time off so as to truly be able to put out some quality work. I love B and admire her drive...but I hate to see her do this foolishness.

2 comments:

Evette Stair said...

Honestly, I can't see how Beyonce is different than any other singer/performer/athlete/celeb.

Every time a new project comes out, they that they reached deep inside themselves blah blah blah - whatever.

nat said...

very true. I thought Beyonce had reached deep to find material for her last album -B'Day. And what did we end up with?"Freakum Dress", "Get me Bodied","Suga Mama". I guess our girl Bey, just realized she's as deep as a puddle.