Monday, November 3, 2008

What would a blog be without a little promoting and advertising... A friend of mine and a graduate of Temple Uiniversity, Steven Lewis has established himself as a poet and photographer. Check out some of his work right here



Here is his latest work:
A Mother’s Requiem

Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us
But have you really forgiven me for trespassing against you

At that time in my life I felt alone
Scared that no one would be there
So I ended your chance
To enhance mine

Now I regret
My only opportunity
To give you more than I had
To teach you more than I learned

I sit and think about what could have been
Mother to child
Rocking to sleep on my chest
A kiss of comfort from the beat of my heart

Thoughts have never left my soul
I still cry at the image
Suicidal thoughts ravage my mind
A lifetime away from a new beginning

Our father who art in heaven
Heal my soul because I am torn
No one can truly understand this pain
A pain that continues to leave its mark on the inside

Shame
Fear
Guilt
Each one fueling my demise

Depression
Anxiety
Wanting to feel that life inside me again
Each one fueling my stuttering downfall

Flash back of memories and nightmares
Going to sleep while my child exits my body
Persistent thoughts of the procedure
All on what would have been your day

I ask for your forgiveness
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory
Forever and ever
AMEN



2 comments:

nat said...

Um really? I don't know about this poem oh so much. Having worked and walked many girls through abortions, I'm not so sure their feelings are full of darkness and disappear. A lot of times it can be more a mixture of sadness (for the lost of a life), and a bit of relief (in ability to keep your life going as is).

I'm also curious as to why a man choose to go write through a woman's point of view and yet still lack so much depth about a woman's feelings and thought process. Perhaps the writer should have done a little more research before. Abortion is a choice many women make for a host of reasons, and for many it doesn't haunt them for a lifetime like this poem implies.

Better yet, perhaps the author should just have explored his own male pov about abortion, considering that is something not often explored in general, and there are few places -- in literature, and in reality--for men to express their thoughts and feelings.

Nara said...

I am going to have to agree with Nathalie’s comment as well. Having been there as a support to women who were undergoing abortions, I can attest to the fact that this poem was not a personification of how they felt…at the very least it’s a one-dimensional portrayal of a woman’s feelings. Clearly this is solely a pro-life (not everyone feels that way) poem and therefore does not encompass true feelings inclusively. There is definitely most often a mix of emotions (sadness/relief) not portrayed here and a lot of outside factors influencing a woman’s thought process in said situation. I definitely think you would have hit closer to the mark had to stuck to a man’s perspective