Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Who is Sasha Fierce



It’s a shame that our girl B must create an alter ego to say what she really wants to say. I actually I like this character Sasha Fierce much better. My favorite tracks come from the Sasha Fierce side, including sweet dreams. But all in all I think B should drop the alter ego and just be herself. Her fans would appreciate a more down to earth and slightly more gritty side every once in a while…well at least I would. Not saying she should take the Keyshia Cole route but it would have us all intrigued nonetheless.

The alter ego idea is not at all creative, most recently TI, Mary J., Tyrese, Nelly and Garth Brooks have done it and in the past David Bowie and The Beatles have experimented with alter egos as well. None seemed to be major career boosters… I think that B attempted something, but she just scratched the surface of something that could’ve been better. As a Newsday blogger so cleverly put it

It's a brilliant idea, if only the music cooperated. Beyoncé is clearly feeling more lovey-dovey and less bootylicious these days....In the end, neither Beyoncé personality gets fully developed here. "I Am ... Sasha Fierce" is supposed to be a declaration, but it sounds more like "I Am ... Not Sure."

I agree. I mean what is it that Sasha Fierce has that Beyonce, as we know her, lacks? A kinky sex life?…wait until you hear Video Phone. Other than that they sound like the same person. Honestly Sasha Fierce isn’t a huge jump from good ole’ B (and this is evident with the double cd). Instead she sort of reminds me of the sassy Beyonce that made songs like Independent Woman, Check on it, Crazy in love, 03Bonnie & Clyde. Could it be that Sasha Fierce existed all along but only now was she able to break free? If so how long will she be free. Will there be more from Sasha Fierce on the next album?

I'm going to give this album a B. It's somewhat consistent in that you have a few danceable hits and sing along ballads...but no classics coming out of this one. So far nothing can touch her first solo album Dangerously In Love (2003). I’m not sure if anything will ...at least not as long as she is still able to dip it low for silly songs like Single Ladies

What we will take from this album is a new definition of a hustler: “A diva is a female version of a hustla” –thanks to Sasha Fierce for that one…whoever she really is.

No comments: